Quote

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
- Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

Tuesday 25 November 2014

And She Lives!

33 hours in and...surprisingly, not as dead as I thought I would be. I went to campus at 6:30pm last night to work on my group's documentary which was due today. I did not leave campus until 7am, where my group member drove me home, I changed and grabbed a lunch, then raced to catch the city bus at 7:22, which then took me back to campus to get on the 8 o'clock bus to Stratford. The 3 of us just spent 12 hours together in a concrete-walled computer lab with no cell service. Ladies and gentlemen, my first all-nighter. Let it be made clear that editing with more than one person is hard. Especially when the files are on one device and you have to keep moving them around. This meant that I would do come editing, but then really just spent a lot of time sitting around. But I felt like I couldn't leave because...I don't know. I didn't want to abandon them. And the buses stopped at 12:30, so I was kind of stuck there anyways. I was there for moral support. And to keep them on track.  One of my group members lives fairly close to campus, so she went home around 6 to change and eat. We finished editing the video at 6am, which we then had to export. It took half an hour. We then realized that we hadn't saved some of the files, which meant there were big gaps in our video. So we had to re-save the files and export it again. It was saying it would take about an hour to export, which meant finishing at 7:30. So, cutting it pretty close. We couldn't leave the video, because the school computers log you off if it's inactive for awhile. My other group member and I were stuck waiting for our group member to return to finish up with the exporting. She came back at 7, and the two of us went home as well (albeit briefly).
All in all, a wild night. And when you're working wild hours like that, eventually the only way to get through it is to laugh. That point arrived at about 3am. There was a lot of swearing and laughing. This, however, is my favourite moment, partially simply because it was caught on camera:
We all died laughing when my group member revealed that he had caught it on camera. It was a great moment. And it accurately displays how most of the night went: serious hard work interspersed with yelling and dancing. Multiple snapchats were sent that night. When the one group member had gone home, the other group member asked me if I wanted to race him in the wheely chairs. I mentioned that there wasn't a lot of space. He looks as me and says, "No, I mean in the hallway." And I thought, yes. This is going to be so much fun. So we're bouncing off the walls scooting around and racing down the hallway. Then he says, "I wish it was connected, so we could do laps." Luckily, we were in PAS,  the most confusing building on campus, so I knew exactly where to go.
It's not clear in this picture, but this staircase is circular. There are staircases heading in every direction. And they're all connected by a hallway at the bottom. And so we started whipping around these stairs in our wheely chairs like there was no tomorrow (which there quite possibly might not have been if we didn't get the doc done). It was a blast. I don't think I've ever had so much fun at 6 in the morning before.
Now while I don't suggest all-nighters, I have to admit that this today was not as bad as I thought it would be. Although I was shaky all day from my food consumption being purely sugar. I got myself an iced capp from Timmies before heading off to Stratford. I got it for the caffeine, but I think it was the sugar more so that got me. I also had a red velvet muffin (which was delicious). I had a sandwich and pudding for lunch. The Stratford campus had gingerbread cookies for us to decorate, so I also ate a cookie. We played a bit of Wii during lunch too, since they had one set up. In reality, not a bad day, given the circumstances. Although I got a headache in the afternoon. Could have been worse, though.

2 comments: