Quote

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
- Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Astronomy

During my Astronomy lecture this evening I was trying to find the special characters in Pages and I came across "Start Dictation". What this feature does is it will listen to what you say and turn it into type in your document. Anyways, I started the feature and so it was listening to my professor speak. I was only a couple rows back, but the computer was facing the wrong direction, so I knew it might not catch everything. The way it works is you start it, and then it keeps listening until you click done. Then it takes a moment to translate it and boom, the text is on the screen. However, it is not always accurate. Actually, I don't think it is ever accurate! And much to me and my friend's amusement, this is what it came up with listening to my professor talking about eclipses:

Doesn’t generally doesn’t
One shadow
Players rail
Homestead always bye
Butter
Stays up all night since last just some opposite
Lettuce dressing see it on the size on the celestial sphere place near penannular distant
But what you notice a nice relaxing
Situated
The other leg
So
Why doesn’t insult someone. Jim
Son lives at the center of the solar system there was a prison
Yeah
This Wencella was Plaske
Your
As the most direct evidence motion of them around here
Show additional evidence yes
Son is
CVS and pressing for geometry

The words in bold are things my professor actually said. As you can see, there are not many. When it says "son" it was most likely when my prof said "sun". The funny thing is that sometimes I would record a minute but then it would only give me one word. My personal favourite is butter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment