Quote

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
- Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

Friday 22 November 2013

Happy

I finished The Fault in Our Stars the other day, and it was an amazing book. I highly suggest reading it. I cried. One of my favourite quotes from the book is "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." But reading it made me think back to when my friend read it, when it first came out. The first printing, 150,000 books, were all signed by the author, John Green.  His brother, Hank, signed 25% of those with a hanklerfish.  And even fewer of those were doodled in by John's wife. The only way you would get a signed copy was if you pre-ordered it, simply because of the demand. My friend had pre-ordered it. She was excited about getting a signed copy, but knew that she would not have a good chance of getting a hanklerfish or extra doodle. When it came in, however, she discovered that she had gotten one of the ones with a hanklerfish. She was so happy about it. And it was in this moment that I truly understood the meaning of "to be happy for somebody else". Because I was. I was happy for her, that she got this little extra thing that really isn't that big, but means so much to her. Needless to say, that is the one book she wouldn't let me borrow :)

2 comments: