Quote

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
- Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

Saturday 18 January 2014

GBDA

So I've been writing up some resumes recently and I've been mentioning that I'm in Global Business and Digital Arts at the University of Waterloo. Only problem is, WHO THE HECK KNOW WHAT GBDA IS, other than GBDA students themselves and their families? I can't even say I'll graduate with like a BA or anything, the program fricking made up it's own degree, Bachelor of Global Business and Digital Arts. One can only hope that my the time I graduate with my BGBDA, people might have actually heard about the program by then. I was complaining about this on Friday to some fellow GBDA students when one of them said that everyone knew about our program. Well not everyone, but the people it will matter to us for know about it. I hadn't realized that businesses and corporations had taken such an interest in GBDA. And then they say, yeah, GBDA is a big deal, Arlene Dickinson is on our head committee/board thing. AND I WAS LIKE WHAT. ARLENE DICKINSON. ARLENE DICKINSON, BAMF ARLENE DICKINSON FROM DRAGONS DEN WHO:
- is CEO and owner of Venture Communications
- (Since she took over, Venture has been recognized by the National Post as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Three times.)
- is in Canada’s Most Powerful Women Top 100 Hall of Fame
- made it onto Chatelaine Magazine’s TOP 100 Business Owners
- has won the Pinnacle Award for Entrepreneurial Excellence, Ad Rodeo’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and McGill University’s Management Achievement Award
- And she was even recognized as Global Television’s Woman of Vision
- and she's an author as well
So obviously I had to google it, and
ARLENE DICKINSON IS ON THE ADVISORY BOARD OF MY PROGRAM!!!! 
I was freaking out. And even if I still don't think that people know about GBDA, I don't even care even more, because Arlene Dickinson. 

(This is reminding me of a camper I had over the summer who loved Arlene Dickinson. It was so weird it threw me for a while. Why her? What about 1D or something? But the more I thought about it, I would rather she look up to Arlene Dickinson than somebody else less desirable: 
)

72. Ever won a spelling bee?
What kind of question is this? Who even partakes in spelling bees, let alone wins them? No, I have not won a spelling bee. Sorry to let you all down on that one.

2 comments:

  1. Umm excuse me... your BFFLAAT here has partaken AND WON a spelling bee before thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I was just gonna write that your BFFLAAT has???but then I saw she did LOL! Very cool about Darlene.

    ReplyDelete