Quote

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
- Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Long Day (18 hours, 50 minutes and 7 seconds to be exact)

Today has been a long day. Starting at precisely 4:36:17AM I woke up (I'm not actually sure about the seconds). I lay awake trying to convince myself to fall asleep again. Then I dozed off a bit. Key word there is dozed: I never did fall back to sleep.  At 5:30:46AM (again, not sure about the seconds) I was laying awake waiting for my alarm to go off (which was set for 6:10AM. Usually I get up at 7:00:00AM [positive about the seconds this time] but I had the zoo trip today and had to be at the school for 6:45:00AM [I'm getting better at this seconds thing :)].)  I find that whenever I change my alarm I have this fear that it won't go off and I'll miss whatever it is that I'm waking up early for.  Because of this panic that rests inside of me, I was unable to fall asleep again.  So I decided to just get up.  Or at least stop trying to fall asleep.  Then at 6:51:39AM (maybe I'm not as good as I thought...) I arrived at school.  We boarded the coach buses. Unfortunately our one friend is in a different Grade 11 Biology class and so she had to be on the other bus.  But I still had two friends with me.  And as the clock on the bus ticked on by (which was showing 12:14AM (no seconds :() we waited for the late people to show up.  Finally after deciding that the other people weren't going to show up (or got on the other bus, I'll never know) at 12:34AM (according to the bus, we didn't actually wait 5 hours for them) we set off.  After a painful 3 hours on the bus we arrived at the Toronto Zoo (I'm not sure what time...)  and were told that there would be two (TWO) assignments that had to be completed, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.  The first one we had to fill out a chart about two animals of our choice (ie. how do they move? {with legs???} where are their eyes {on their head???}  etc, etc, etc.). The afternoon assignment was to watch an animal for half an hour and record what it did every minute (you chose ten actions and then marked down which of those actions it did in the minute).  We (the four of us were quickly reunited after getting of the buses) thought this would be boring and a waste of time. Anyways, we found an animal that was inside so we didn't have to sit in the sun. We chose the tree kangaroo. Honestly the cutest thing I have ever seen (overdramatication, but not by much). We named it Claude.  By the end of the half hour we were glad we had been given the assignment.  Although without it we could have seen the penguins (we ran out of time before we got to them) it really made us slow down and appreciate the animal.  Before we would have stopped for 30 seconds (approximately), said it was cute and then moved onto the komodo dragon.  There was a sign in the exhibit to please be quiet. The only problem was that it was around the corner from the door. So people came charging in and yelling. We would shhhh them and then they would look at us like, "what authority do you have over me?" And then they would turn the corner and realize that they needed to shut up or leave.  We started feeling very protective of Claude (did I mention Claude has to be read with a French accent?). We were sad that there was only one tree kangaroo. I don't know if the other one was inside its little house thingy (you know how zoo inclosures work, there's a viewing area and then an area where they go at night kind of thing) but it seemed lonely.  We were also sad to leave but we also really wanted to see the other kangaroos.  Eventually (after waiting 15minutes for people who didn't realize the bus was leaving at 2:30:00PM (supposed to leave, that is)) we set off for home.  We got back around 5PM, just like they said they would.  I was really tired after walking all day and really wanted to have a shower and then go to bed (you know, since I was up at 4:36:17AM (again, not sure about the seconds)). But then reality set in and I realized that I have two tests tomorrow and a bunch of math homework that I haven't even heard the lesson on. So after struggling through studying (not really) and figuring out my math homework (my math teacher posts all her lessons online, makes my life so much easier) and having a shower, I decided to come blog about it all. And it's taken me much longer than I expected it to.  Today was definitely one of those days where I kept thinking about something and then thought that I should blog about it.  But since it is now 10:26:09PM (according to the computer), I should go to bed. Good night to you all!
(he looks kind of mad in this picture, but he's actually really cute)

No comments:

Post a Comment